The Black Graduate Student Association (BGSA) was chartered on January 17, 2017 at NC State University. BGSA strives to cultivate professional and personal development for Black graduate students. BGSA offers structured and informal opportunities for supportive mentorship, access to social networks, service learning opportunities, and academic resources. This organization will integrate the goals and visions of alumni, advisors, and current members who are dedicated to facilitating the enrichment of BGSA’s culture. Furthermore, we offer outlets for members to air grievances and concerns, regarding life on and off campus, in a safe environment. Accordingly, BGSA will:
- Offer a support system for Black students enrolled in graduate and professional programs.
- Sustain a thriving academic community for Black students and alumni.
- Collaborate with campus constituents to create and maintain an institutional environment – both within and beyond the classroom – that nurtures students’ full personal, academic, and professional well-being.
- Provide workshops, guest speakers, meetings, and other activities that may inform and broaden the perspectives of our members.
- Encourage and uphold a commitment to excellence in the daily endeavors of our fellow graduate students.